- Jon Rune Strøm - double and electric bass;
- Andreas Wildhagen - drums;
- Paal Nilssen-Love - drums;
- Mats Äleklint - trombone;
- Christian Meaas Svendsen - double and electric bass;
- Klaus Ellerhusen Holm - alto and baritone saxophone;
- Julie Kjær - alto saxophone;
- Thomas Johansson - cornet;
- Børre Mølstad - tuba;
- Ketil Gutvik - electric guitar;
- Tommi Keränen - electronics;
- Christian Obermayer - sound
Paal Nilssen-Love Large Unit was established summer of 2013 and consists of Norway´s younger generation of improvising musicians. First release is “First Blow”, a live recording from Molde Jazzfestival 2013; both on vinyl 12” EP and CD that are both sold out (!). Second out is a 4-LP box set and 3-CD box with material recorded during a tour of Norway in January/February 2014, which was released in October 2014, called "Erta Ale". Summer of 2014 saw the band busy at Moers Festival, Kongsberg Jazzfestival and the Blow Out festival in Oslo. Reviews from Moers claimed PNL Large Unit as one of the highlights of the festival. The band will also be touring Europa and North America in 2015.
The music is composed by Nilssen-Love but is open enough for the players to focus on interaction, free improvisation, sound, dynamics and energy. The band is stripped down to single players, duoes etc and at times split into several groups. The power of the whole groups is of course a treat in itself when in full blast. Traces of Nilssen-Love´s experience from groups like Peter Brötzmann Chicago tentet, Ken Vandermark´s Territory band and Frode Gjerstad´s Circulasione Totale Orchestra are of course evident. There is no doubt that Nilssen-Love has taken inspiration from his years in these bands but still with the aim to create a new group with a sound of it´s own.